Sunday, August 24, 2008

Well This Was an Interesting Exchange

Despite the best efforts of a few people like "Lynette B" from Brooten who will stoop to the bottom of the barrel to show their hatred, I'm still here. I'm not going away that easily. Throwing a few rocks at me won't dampen my spirits, despite how nasty some may get. Actually a few more comments were added that threw darts at me from "Lynette B" and some of her gang. Nasty stuff. In spite of all that, this week both local papers, and the Sauk Herald, will both have complete sports sections as Fall 2008 is fired up at full steam. Don't thank me, simply buy a paper, go to a Jaguars sporting event, support the kids. In the end, that's what it's about.

Read below to understand what the fuss is about...and to make sense of what I said above.

On Monday, August 11th, the West Central Tribune ran this article including the following =

"The Willmar School Board has decided to ask voters to approve an operating levy in a referendum this fall. ...The district ’s current levy of $498.49 per pupil raises $2.3 million a year. ...The first question would add $201.51 per pupil to the existing levy bringing the total levy up to 700 ...The $700 levy would allow the district to maximize state aid available to districts with levies. ...The board did discuss an operating levy two years ago ..."

Below is an exchange on the Tribune's internet blog comments for this story. I ("Randy O - Sunburg") was commenting on the idea that small schools have to work within their budgets in everything they do. If they don't have the money they can't be spending it. Willmar is hoping to pass an excess levy vote and I hope it goes through for them. Times are tough, and as we experienced at B-B-E in June of this summer, it is a very difficult political environment to raise property taxes. I don't advocate "cheapening" education, but I also don't advocate raising pay when the public is not behind the idea. In the end, the taxpayers foot the bill.

And here's part of what was said...

Brian B, how can we convince the public that taxes must be raised so the salaries can get paid? No one will talk about that. In our property-poor district of B-B-E, high salaries will break the district. It's not sustainable.
Randy O
Sunburg, MN
08/12/2008 1:06 PM
Report Violation


Richard, the problem is not the teachers, it's the system they are forced to operate in.
Rick C
Willmar, MN
08/12/2008 1:09 PM
Report Violation


I am not sure what I proved. You will attract good employees anywhere with good salaries. Again- very, very few teachers in the public schools make this kind of money. Starting salaries are around 30,000. It will take a lot of schooling and years to get to the point you are worried about. I don't think this is what is going to "break" schools. Also - why should teachers make less just because they teach in a small district? They shouldn't, which is again why I believe our gov. needs to step up and support our schools more.
Amy K
Benson, MN
08/12/2008 1:36 PM
Report Violation


As enrollment continues to decline, the district needs to become more efficient and work within its means instead of asking taxpayers to bail them out again. operate within a budget like businesses do. We hire a new superintendent and the first thing he does is tax us more.
Renae G
Willmar, MN
08/12/2008 1:53 PM
Report Violation


Schools are not a business. Just as churches are not a business. Can't compare apples and oranges. Schools and churches are not in the business of making money. We're not bailing out the school, we're making up for State of Minnesota's lack of funding for education. We're bailing out the Pawlenty administration - the no new taxes but more user fees system of governing and leadership. Also, why take a cheap shot at our new superintendent? This was a school board decision. It would be the same whether Leedom were still here or not. I,for one, agree with their decision and back them 100% We are lucky to have the quality people we have serving on our board. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I have never ever voted against a school referendum and I never will. I'll go to my grave supporting public education. I'm so grateful for the wonderful education I received growing up in Willmar - the many outstanding teachers and coaches. I want my kids to have the same great experience and opportunities I had. Any way you look at it this involves money and resources. Administrators, teachers, and coaches have already had to submit lists with cuts etc. If this doesn't pass and we have to cut another two million or so, it is going to be just terrible for our young people. They are our future. They are worth every penny of the small sacrifice we are all called to make on their behalf.
Jay C
Willmar, MN
08/12/2008 2:17 PM
Report Violation


Ok I found a little more info.. Case in point. What I found were 2005 figures... average salary for teachers at K-M-S was around $38,000. Average salaries at B-B-E was around $49,000 which ranks them near the top of all small schools in Minnesota with K-12 enrollment under 1,000. The staff at both schools (KMS/BBE) have younger and older teachers. I know 90% of the staff at both school districts. This is what I'm talking about. K-M-S has their budget under control, they are frugal while also having a strong school system.
Randy O
Sunburg, MN
08/12/2008 3:05 PM
Report Violation


This proves nothing. You do not know the background of the education of these teachers. How many of them have master's degrees? You also do not know exactly the amount of years these people have put in at both places. I think you are focusing on the teachers when the problem is with gov. funding. I am much more upset with our gov. not giving us enough funds than a school like BBE giving teachers good salaries that they deserve.
Amy K
Benson, MN
08/12/2008 3:13 PM
Report Violation


Frugal and strong school systems don't go hand in hand. To get good, quality educators, it costs money.
Jay C
Willmar, MN
08/12/2008 3:16 PM
Report Violation


Randy O. Get a life.
Lynnette B
Brooten, MN
08/12/2008 3:22 PM
Report Violation



I was wondering when someone would throw out a 2-year old response.
Randy O
Sunburg, MN
08/12/2008 3:41 PM
Report Violation


Still no one has talked about how to come up with the money to pay teachers more money. What are we trying to teach here, spend money that we don't have?
Randy O
Sunburg, MN
08/12/2008 3:43 PM
Report Violation