Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Snow, snow, go away - come back next year

B-B-E schools began with the release of a a 2-hour late notice at 5:45am today...then it changed to "closed"!

Some roads are pretty bad out there. I've already logged 2 hours on the snow blower...and that doesn't get my stories written!!!

So about the school closing today...the school attempted to send a second call out via the automatic dial alert to all B-B-E families (and JKC families)...it did not work. They accept responsibility on their end.

It illustrates why Mr. Bullard says specifically in the initial message (the one at 05:44 this morning for 2 hours late)..."Please stay tuned to the radio and other school alert outlets for other weather-related announcements"...if memory serves me correct, he says that in all his messages when calling school two hours late.

...of course I went right from the snow blower to getting the kids ready for school to hopping on Hwy 55 and heading to school...arriving in Brooten to see a sparse number of cars in the lot, no buses at the front door...and I'm thinking "Huh? No school?"

I pulled up KSAX.COM on my cell phone and quickly saw the list...yeah, there it was: "B-B-E - closed". It didn't change my day much, as fortunately staff at JKC was there to take care of my daughter today.

With school closings there's always the concern about children standing at the end of a driveway or at a bus stop waiting for a bus pick up...kids being at home part or all of the day supervising themselves...that illustrates the importance of family, friends and neighbors...we need to do everything we can to help one another out and look out for each other. It's a great feature included in small town life!!

Labels: ,