Thursday, July 07, 2022

Small world getting smaller (and BVD news)


What a small world getting smaller! One of the Bonanza Valley Days vendor show vendors is the dad of Taylor Thunstedt from New London-Spicer. Die-hard area basketball fans will remember her name, as she was one of the best girls' basketball players to ever play for New London-Spicer coach Mike Dreier. Thunstedt achieved 1,000 career points as a sophomore during the 2011-2012 season. By the time she graduated from NL-S in 2014, Thunstedt was the all-time leading scorer for Dreier's program. She went on to play Division I basketball at North Dakota State University in Fargo.

Why do I bring this up? Here's why: today I put 2 and 2 together and learned that Thunstedt is a police officer who works part-time for the Belgrade-Brooten police department. She was hired back in 2021, but I still haven't gotten around to writing stories on the newer officers hired by Chief Jansky. I'm actually embarrassed that I haven't been able to do that going back to last summer, when Officer Sorenson (hometown Starbuck) was hired by Chief Jansky. That's basically one example of about 100 of the cracks in my organization that I'm still trying to resolve. Thunstedt and other officers will be helping provide security at BVD events this weekend, and we want to give them a HUGE thank you in advance for what they do for us. And don't get me started on the anti-cop movement in this country. I'm as sick of that as anyone!!!

REMINDER: the Bonanza Valley Days Walk/Run will be held on Saturday, July 8 starting at 8:30 a.m. sharp at the parking lot by St. Donatus Catholic Church (corner of Roe Street and Eastern Avenue)...registration opens at 8 a.m. The course is a two-mile route marked on city streets. Eligible are all amateur walkers, bikers and runners. This is in support of the B-B-E Wrestling Club! The cost is just $15 per participant. Come out and get some great exercise while supporting one of our school's varsity teams!


That's all I've got for tonight. I'm exhausted and need a proper night's rest if I'm going to survive the next three days.




Labels: ,