Sunday, September 24, 2023

Church dinner day...and football notes


Today there's a big change of pace ahead with two church dinners on deck...the first begins at 10:30 a.m. at First Lutheran Church of Norway Lake, where they'll be serving a meatball dinner. The other is a turkey dinner at Chippewa Falls Lutheran that begins at 11 a.m. in beautiful Terrace. I won't be able to get down to Norway Lake, but I am going to Terrace. My morning has been occupied by going to church worship and still combing over my Friday Night Lights IV game notes.

Take this in: B-B-E's first three drives encompassed 10 plays for a total of 210 yards that put them ahead 20-6 with just under 2 minutes remaining in the first quarter. For A-C-GC, their first scoring drive on their third overall possession covered 90 yards before they scored on Jevon Williams' 7-yard run with 2:11 left in the opening quarter. That drive used 6 plays, its biggest coming on a 44-yard run by tight end Isaiah Renne that put the Falcons at the 7-yard line.

Overall in the first half, the Jaguars totaled 268 yards of offense on 19 total plays across 6 drives to score 28 offensive points. Of the 268 yards, 127 yards came on 11 carries, and 141 yards came on 8 catches. Although they trailed 36-22 at halftime, the Falcons totaled 270 yards of offense on 31 plays to score 22 offensive points.

After a full review of my notes and Hudl game tape, my totals show the Jaguar gaining 424 yards of offense, while A-C-GC had 404 yards of offense. The Jaguars had 35 plays to 58 by the Falcons. For B-B-E's offense, the yardage was a total split with 212 yards on the ground and 212 in the air. Crazy. In the second half, A-C-GC had 140 yards of offense...but no points scored.

UPDATE on Sunday night...I will not be blogging for at least a couple days. Likely not until Wednesday night. My plate just got beyond full, and I have to micromanage my time going into this week. I'm still determining exactly what went wrong, but it appears that our family's 2013 Chrysler minivan has a completely hatched transmission. This is after its undercarriage was "roughed up" by a softball-size rock. The rock was driven over at highway speed on a county road north of Paynesville on Friday. I think it caused a slow leak of transmission fluid which was not discovered until today...when it was too late. The damage was done. Somehow the transmission lost a ton of fluid this weekend. This minivan's transmission has a capacity of about 9 quarts, and by my estimation it was at least 3 quarts low. Our family is now facing a true hardship. This has been difficult to wrap my head around. It was a freak accident to have this rock damage the transmission, and I have to simply be glad that it didn't cause an actual car accident. Tomorrow I'll be getting a tow truck on the road and also making a visit with Scott Voss at Hofmann Transmission. Looks like he's got more business lined up! I am thankful he's in our Brooten community.

Sports update...
**The volleyball team won 25-16, 25-22, 26-24 at Parkers Prairie tonight. They're now 13-4 overall. Next on the schedule for the Jaguars is a trip to Eden Valley-Watkins this Thursday for a Central Minnesota Conference match. The two teams shared the CMC title last year.




Labels: