Friday, February 14, 2014

Humans are insanely wasteful creatures

Photo from theguardian.com

"Uh, oh, there he goes again."

Yeah I'm on a rampage right now.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/jan/10/half-world-food-waste

Am I just in outer space by thinking that having a school worker throwing a hot lunch in the garbage in the middle of a school's lunch room is beyond the realm of acceptable behavior? Something so outrageous you do not believe it could happen? I don't even know why I try explaining why it's such an outrageous act. I thought we were better than that, but then I read school officials lying in the West Central Tribune newspaper all in the name of saving face. Farmers work hard to produce food for the world, yet about 21,000 people die every day of hunger or hunger-related causes, according to the United Nations. This is one person every four seconds!! In the time you've read this, at least a half-dozen people in this world died because of a lack of food. Let that all sink in and then tell me if I'm still in outer space for feeling this way as I imagine public school children watching a hot lunch being thrown in the garbage because of a problem that should simply be between a school district and parents. In the attached report, 30-50% of food produced in the world "never makes it on to a plate"....yet in America, we have food put on a plate and then tossed in the garbage moments later? Color me stupid, but I think we should all do whatever it takes to make sure that never happens again.


The source of some of the statistics I cited is a report published in January 2013.
http://www.imeche.org/knowledge/themes/environment/global-food

Labels: