Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Scouting Medford

We're within one day of the state tournament opener and I haven't gotten a scouting report posted!

On Sunday this past weekend I managed to acquire a fair amount of scouting material on the Medford Tigers volleyball team...tonight I'll chew through it.

They have a power house team this year, which is no surprise to anyone. I still believe our Jaguars can approach the match with a sense of confidence that they can handle what's thrown at them. I think they proved in the section finals that they can stand up to and succeed under very intense pressure!!!!

While about eight projects occupy my evening, take a moment and read a story I just dusted off from the archives of the Bonanza Valley Voice newspaper website. I forgot I wrote this! This was posted a year ago, almost to the day...actually one day apart...the night of last year's Class 1A state volleyball quarterfinals. Medford had just defeated defending state champion Mayer Lutheran by a 3-2 score: (short link) https://bit.ly/2qqzWFl.

**Update late Wednesday night: here's my first installment of "Scouting Medford - Part II" (short link) https://bit.ly/33mWQfm. I call this "Part II" because it is literally the second time I've done this with Medford...the first was 367 days ago!


In other news...I see my Cougars won! The University of Minnesota-Morris women's volleyball team defeated the College of St. Scholastica in their conference playoff semifinals tonight, 3-1, at the Cougar Sports Center. Recap here: https://bit.ly/2PVo74K. It appears this is the first time in three years that I won't make it with my family to a Cougar volleyball match. That's a huge bummer! They are led by second-year coach Joe Sussegeth, who anyone around central Minnesota remembers as the long-time head coach at Ridgewater College. He's terrific!


UMM now travels to St. Paul on Saturday night to take on the University of Northwestern Eagles in the conference title match. The winner gets an automatic bid to the NCAA Division III playoffs. First serve from the Ericksen Center is at 7 p.m.



Labels: ,