Monday, October 17, 2022

Hard freeze takes out the garden


I spent about two hours last night clearing out the last of what I could from the family garden plots. The exception is a couple hills of potatoes plus some carrots that are still in the ground. We had what farmers call a "killing frost" in the Bonanza Valley area with temperatures dropping into the low 20s. It dipped below 32 degrees between 9 and 10 p.m. last night. Noteworthy: an Indian summer is coming!

What this means for my newspaper-related work is that I'm "behind the 8 ball" and have to catch up from work I would have normally done on Sunday night. Look for just a 12-page newspaper this week. I hope to catch my breath before the big sports playoff push begins next week. Life will get very, very crazy.

Tonight we have the school board meeting at the high school media center at 7 p.m. It is open to the public. The Belgrade city council also meets tonight at 7 p.m. at city hall. A third group meets tonight at 7 p.m., the Belgrade Lions, who will meet at the meeting room at Coop's Corner.

You can see a summary of items on the Belgrade city council agenda at my editor's blog: http://lifeinbonanzavalley.blogspot.com. Yes, I have a "news" blog as well as this sports blog to maintain and operate in addition to the newspaper's regular website!

Labels: ,