Thursday, March 23, 2023

Over a week of tech misery has been (kinda) resolved


Big Tech can be the biggest enemy of your life. Since last Wednesday morning, Big Tech has all but totally derailed my newspaper operation after my 21-year old Windows XP computer and 21-year old Hewlett Packard LaserJet printer stopped communicating with one another. (In the tech world, the problem is "drivers" and it is a real pain.) This set off a chain series of events that put the The Voice on its knees. It almost took out the operation on Wednesday afternoon last week as I was trying desperately to cover the pep fests and see the girls' basketball team off to state.

Today I made a breakthrough in my billing department and have at least partially resolved the issue...when you defeat Big Tech, you do feel like a king!!! We'll see how long this lasts.

UPDATE: I managed to get an old LaserJet printer working that was already im my office. It appears that it will replace the 21-year old HP LaserJet. An ink cartridge for this newer model is just $22 for a 2,000-page cartridge. Tremendous deal!!

Taking the rest of the day off. We will hit it hard tomorrow, when I'll get more state tournament videos posted. The Bonanza Valley Voice website has been updated. You can see one of the new articles posted by clicking on the following link: https://bit.ly/3K6ayLu. Great support by this community for our local ambulance service!!!

Crazy statistic of the day: last Saturday, the day of the third-place basketball game in St. Paul, I shot over 600 photos between my cell phone and my Corvette-level digital camera. That just might be an all-time record for photos taken in one day for me. Of that total, about 400 were taken at Gangelhoff Center on the Concordia University campus in St. Paul before, during and after the Hayfield game.