Saturday, December 02, 2023

The Voice Winter Sports Show No. 1!! A throwback to the 1970s (VIDEO)


I didn't know when I'd get to my first sports show of the 2023-2024 winter season. Ultimately, this was recorded one year to the day after I recorded the first one of the 2022-2023 winter sports season. That winter sports show one year ago was dedicated mainly to the dance team in a video I recorded on the fly with very little thought or time put into it. The video posted below was also recorded with very little time or thought put into it. This video is dedicated to the 1973 Brooten Buccaneers football team.

If there's anything you can count on, you can count on me being unpredictable!

I have to apologize in advance to the DeRoo family for an embarrassing mistake I had in the video. Brett DeRoo is not a great nephew of Kevin DeRoo. He is a nephew. That's a generational thing that I got mixed up in my head. Kevin DeRoo was one of five seniors on the 1973 Brooten football team. His youngest brother, Aaron, was a 1996 graduate of B-B-E high school. Aaron's middle son is Brett DeRoo. Just a straight up goof up on my part!

Without further ado...here's the Winter Sports Show No. 1! Dedicated to a fall sport and a team that played 50 years ago...


The Brooten Buccaneers football program was more or less downtrodden for a period of almost 35 years since its inception in the fall of 1938. One of the first Brooten teams went 4-3 (the fall of 1941), and the 1953 Brooten team won the Crow County Conference. Those two seasons may have been the only two winning seasons Brooten had in football from 1938 until 1973.

It took two new coaches in Brooten to lead the program to better times. In the summer of 1970, Jerry Hilton (high school math teacher) and Donovan Larson (elementary phy ed teacher) were hired as teachers in addition to a rigorous and substantial list of coaching assignments. I don't have the full list of exactly what Hilton coached during his time in Brooten (1970-1981), but I do know he was head boys' basketball coach across those years and also the head baseball coach. Larson was in Brooten just four years before Sauk Centre head-hunted him and hired him away from us in the summer of 1974. Coach Larson was the head coach of football, wrestling and boys' track and field. He was Brooten's first head wrestling coach, as that program was founded in the 1970-1971 season.

More to come.




Labels: