Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Budget cuts, more news

On Monday night this week, the Benson School Board voted to trim $635,909 from their 2013-14 budget. Their Family and Consumer Science program has been eliminated. The school has a K-12 enrollment of just around 800 students, which compares to about 950 enrolled at Sauk Centre Public Schools.

Last night in Sauk Centre, during a five-hour long school board meeting that went past midnight, cuts totaling $289,584 were approved. One result of that meeting and what transpired is that I'm operating on 2 hours of sleep. (I'm getting too old for this.)

The negativity running across the Sauk Centre district is about as corrosive as I've ever heard in any community I've lived or worked in. I hope we never see that at B-B-E. It would be incredibly unfortunate.

Labels: